Monday, May 21, 2007

Indecision About Upcoming Class

I am undecided about whether or not to take the writing class next month. I want to make a decision on it as soon as possible because I want to register for it by next week. It's only a couple weeks away. I think that my resistance is causing a wee bit of anxiety. I really don't see what harm it would do. At worst, I would realize that trying to get articles published in magazines would be a bad idea - but at least then I'd know this instead of trying and finding out later after months and years of trying this route - that it just is not meant to be. Much better than wasting valuable time, energy, and resources with no chance of success. I'd rather be prepared beforehand one way or the other. I don't like wasting my time. I prefer to get on with things - take action - but I like to be prepared and plan ahead - because I've experienced unexpected situations coming up that have blown me way off course - at least that's how I see it and how I feel about the whole ordeal. It's a royal pain and wastes so much of my time - and I feel like I'm getting nowhere fast. So, the pros and cons have to be weighed. I do believe that my resistance is actually some bizarre fear that if i take the class then I'm committed to seeing this entire idea through - which is wrong thinking. Once the workshop class is over, I don't have to ever consider actually writing articles for magazine publication if I do not wish to do so - or feel that it's just not right for me. I mentioned to a family member about the class and said that it's just to test the waters - so to speak - since I'm a good communicator, a good writer, good researcher, and like to simplify technical scientific concepts into regular language for regular folks to understand and comprehend - of course I would be writing scientific articles - this is just to get my work out there into the professional world - if not in high tech scientific journals - then maybe into more general audience oriented publications - Discover, National Geographic, etc. Of course, this would be the ideal situation - but once I have at least one article to send out, I can by then have a good working list of these kinds of magazines to submit my articles to. Then it's just a matter of when and where I send it - and patience - lots of patience. Yes, this is part of my strategy - one little tiny route. This one class is not a commitment - it's merely an info-gathering session to see if this is something that might just work out for me. It's a very valuable opportunity and could be potentially very beneficial and helpful to my entire career. Even if I could somehow pull off a couple published articles - they'd be excellent resume builders. I may as well attempt to see if this route bears any fruit. As the old adage says: nothing ventured, nothing gained! It is my turn to venture out of my safe little world of academia! Tallyho!

No comments: