Thursday, September 27, 2007

Listing and Summaries of Some of My Projects - Part 1

This is just a quick general run down of the research topics I have yet to make progress on.

I want to design a device for releasing the pressure build up in volcanoes, similar to the way scientists release pressure along the San Andreas fault, to minimize the destructive earthquakes by causing small scale ones where the pressure is building up. I already have a design in mind and the most cost effective way to do it would be to use already existing materials. Patenting is not necessarily an issue at this point since the invention is not marketable in any way I can see, but will be a benefit to humanity and to science.

The Pleistocene mass extinction: As mentioned before, I am trying to assemble data and analyze it to find a pattern of global mass extinction congruent with the global immigration of human hunter gatherers in an attempt to illustrate that human over hunting was the primary cause of the extinctions. At the same time I am gathering data about the deglaciation that was also happening and given by many scientists and scholars as the primary cause of the extinction, in order to show that there are problems with the prevailing theory. The Bolivian impact crater adds a new interesting twist to the information.

Cretaceous Tertiary Boundary Event: I started this project many, many years ago and never got the chance to finish it and then I lost my copy of the original draft. Hopefully, I will find it soon. I did do a shortened version of it for a research writing class a few years back, but it was far from the quality of the original. It was also a very detailed study of a great deal of evidence from the K-T layer and impact crater, as well as a detailed survey of major animal groups that were affected, went extinct, and even ones that did not suffer greatly. I was trying to be thorough and cover the most important evidence and intended to add some speculation regarding the details. I intend to redo and/or finish what I started.

Jericho Geology: The ancient and biblical city of Jericho is legendary for its great walls, supposedly the first city walls to ever be built. Apparently, the city of Jericho is also considered the first human city as well. Then I found out that it was built along a very tectonically active fault zone. The issue is that the city and its wall was destroyed and rebuilt many times. For centuries, people just figured it was due to wars. But I believe it can be argued that massive earthquakes were the cause of the city's repeated destruction. This adds speculation about why they kept rebuilding the city in the same location. What was so appealing about the location to keep people there despite massive destructive earthquakes?

Aegean Dual Subduction Zone: A tectonic anomaly in the Aegean Sea. I call it an anomaly since its rarely observed in nature and the implications are enormous. What will happen if the center plate sinks into the mantle? What are we to expect with a section of the sea floor, devoid of the crustal layer? A new crust would form, but much thinner, and weaker, and with volcanic forces causing more problems. It's just a very interesting phenomena, and one to keep an eye on.

I will post more of these projects later this week, and hopefully add an update. Until then...

No comments: