Monday, April 16, 2007

Still Strategizing

I'm always up for new and improved ways of approaching my projects. Right now I'm trying to focus most of my attention and free time on only the Pleistocene project - but interesting bits of information regarding others tend to come up. That's why I'm keeping this blog flexible for those bits that are interesting and seemingly important. Recently, I've added to my strategy. At the moment the main idea is to just stick primarily to one project until it gathers momentum and starts progressing at a much faster pace - then gradually add the next project until it too, is rolling along nicely - etc. Another part of the current strategy is to gather resources as I go along - literally. Basically, I'll print out articles that are pertinent to any one of my projects - or some other interests - even when I find them in the course of doing research for a class project. I'll also buy books on those topics - I've stockpiled quite an interesting library on such topics as evolution, extinction events, creationism, Einstein, ancient scientists and engineers, dinosaurs, genetics...I also kept most of my textbooks from my college classes - esp. science related ones.
I also tend to cover a topic as thoroughly as I possibly can - covering all the most essential evidence. My recent developments basically build upon this and bring forward past experiences.

One addition is to apply as much of what I have learned from all the classes, etc. , to as many of my projects as possible. For instance, those projects that will make the best use of Structural Geology, Geophysics, GIS, Genetics, Geomorphology, etc. I've been in college awhile - so the list is quite extensive. Part of this is due to the fact that I feel like my skills are rusting from non-use because they aren't being properly applied, secondly from a need to give myself an edge in my work, and finally to be prepared to defend my position as thoroughly as possible. My lab instructor just took his comps and mentioned what they're basically like - eight hour defense of your research with peers one day and professors and advisors the next - talk about nerve wracking. They basically determine whether you should continue in grad school and give - hopefully constructive - criticism of one's work so far. All semester I've been getting these bits of feedback about the whole post-graduation research work and what to expect from the real world of scientists - not only from class but also from a book I just finished reading - Feynman's Rainbow. Talk about immersion.

Another possible addition to my strategy is what I like to call The Contract - an intersting concept and learning tool that can be adapted to just about any subject - and in this case - my individual and collective projects. Educators should pay attention to this one. One of my grade school science teachers invented it. Basically each week she'd give us a packet of mini projects and exercises - some more fun - some challenging - all geared around the current class topic - plus a bit of extra stuff. The first page was usually a map with instructions to name the features marked on the map - continents, oceans, rivers, countries, mountain ranges, etc. Then there would be some matching, multiple choice, true & false, etc., questions. It was kind of like a take home test or quiz mixed with related "fun stuff " like word searches, logic problems, crossword puzzles, and at least one coloring page - usually of dinosaurs. Well, suffice it to say, I might be able to adapt that concept into an adult version specified to my projects. This could work. The "fun stuff" would maybe be a field trip to the museum to see an exhibit that has some important information to convey. There's one going on now over at the Carnegie on Strange Beasts: Past and Present that I've been meaning to see. Also, any lectures, conventions, workshops, or other events relating in some way to my work - or anything that sounds interesting. Hey, I need all the help I can get - esp. since I'm winging it at this point. And life sure loves to get in the way. Signing off.

No comments: