Monday, June 25, 2007

Possibilities from the Freelance Writing Workshop

It's been awhile - but I've been busy - and unexpected things tend to happen when I least expect. I really didn't have much to report in about concerning my project - at least nothing of significance anyway. This past Saturday was the writing workshop. It was very informative and I do think it might be a possible income stream not to mention a way to break into the fields I want to work in. Since my interests are pretty far ranging - politics, social issues, education, the arts, etc. - this gives me a starting point. This is one of my three strengths as far as making this a workable route to success for me. The other two being my pretty good writing skills - I usually get A's on essays and term papers - and I have a focus to narrow my work towards. So maybe a wider focus will be best to start out and then once I'm established as a competent writer then start narrowing that focus into my desired field.

A couple other points were brought up: writing articles with the intent to publish a book with the material and wordiness. As far as wordiness is concerned, a professor from my philosophy of science days stressed pulling out any and all unecessary words. My writing style lends itself to wordiness - which in book format might be beneficial but in article writing is really not a good thing since word count and space is at a premium. She also mentioned that when staff editors cut a piece down for space they usually cut from the bottom up instead of going through the entire article and taking out those unecessary words - so, put the most essential information at the top and middle of the article. Good thing I know how to utilize the word count tool on my papers and I can delete unecessary words pretty easily. It's the cautious part of my nature - not to mention the perfectionist in me.

As to the book writing: she gave the example of a woman who intended to write a book and all the articles she published were parts of that book. She just tweaked it before publishing. That sounds really cool. Also, I liked hearing that some to most articles can be sold to and published by more than one publication - but whoever publishes it first gets naming rights. Apparently, most magazines and other publications tend to change the title to their own liking. Once the title is officially changed - it cannot be changed again later - by the author nor another publication. Also, one must mention it is a reprint before submitting it to other publications than the first.

She stressed noticing what we read in the newspaper and other places, to write as much as possible - everyday if possible - and research the writer's market for valuable information as to whom and where each article can be submitted. You can either have the article first and then submit it entirely in a cover letter or submit a proposal for a potential article and write it after the proposal is accepted. I think I like the first scenario best - at least for myself - just so I can write what I want and then taylor fit it - slant it - for the publication I submit it to. Also, I wouldn't be too thrilled with the acceptance coming through with a deadline four days in the future. Stuff seems to happen to me when I least expect or need it - at the most inconvenient times. The other way is more flexible - which I need right now. Maybe I'll look for some article writing tutorials to get my start. Plus, my professional writing class starts tonight - maybe that will help, too. Wish me luck - lots of it!!!

No comments: