Tuesday, January 15, 2008

No Isostatic Rebound for Us

Isostatic rebound is unlikely to happen because the vast majority of the land bound ice is already melted in the Arctic. Sea ice is all that's left. I was under the impression that there was still a great deal of land bound ice. I was wrong. Other than permafrost and Greenland, we're literally going under. A great deal more of the remaining sea ice will likely melt away by the end of this summer. If there were still land glaciers up north putting pressure on the North American continental plate, then isostatic rebound might have been likely. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen.

Unexpected happenings are holding me back on much of my research and other scientific interests. At least I am getting some other necessary tasks done and out of the way while I wait for these happenings to pass. This will open up more free time later for further science stuff. Until my next post...Tally ho!

No comments: